Thursday, May 5, 2011

Chipotle and Cheddar Mashed Potatoes



Finally some photos! Exotic and so delicious. I made my own adobo sauce (see below) and the cheese here is amazing. So enjoy this as a side, or alongside some sautéed green beans, like we did. I made a lot of extra, assuming this would be a nice leftover for tomorrow. Potato size is not so important. The important part is that they are cubed into pieces that are all about the same size.

3 large and 2 medium potatoes, cut into cubes
3 cloves garlic, broken by placing them under the flat side of a knife and pushing down until they pop
1 cup grated or crumbled cheddar cheese, the sharper, the better
2 tablespoons chipotles in adobo sauce (or one chile and one tablespoon adobo)
salt and pepper to taste


I like potato skins, so I cut my potatoes into pieces that have nice-sized squares of skin. If you want to skin the potatoes, I recommend cooking them whole, running them under cold water, then peeling them. The skin will almost fall off of cooked potatoes and you don't waste so much. That goes for sweet potatoes, too.




Boil the potatoes and garlic in enough water to cover them for about 30 minutes, or until tender when forked. Drain, add milk and butter, and mash roughly. Return to head and add cheese and chipotles, mashing until desired consistency is reached. Serve 'em up.

This epicurious recipe is nice for mashed potatoes and this recipe. I also liked this recipe.

Note: I like little chunks of cheese rather than grated cheese that's been well blended into the potatoes. If you are like me, wait to add the cheese and chipotles until the potatoes are mashed well. Then stir in the chess and chipotles with a wooden spoon over low heat. Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment